View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 05:03 AM   #14
Daubs

Re: Project Big Block ('04 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4)

Got sidetracked a bit with the weight distributing trailer hitch.

Pulled the hitch a while back (two of three years ago?), cause it was rusty and i wanted to try POR15. I didn't do recommended prep on the hitch...just wire wheeled the rusty spots, removed maybe 20-25% of existing paint, and brushed on POR15. Second coat of POR, then waited until tacky, and brushed POR Chassis Black.

The really rusted spots held up well. Areas I put POR over existing paint not so much...rust was back. These were areas I never noticed until crawling under the truck.

So this time I was more thorough. My plan:
  • Aircraft paint remover (holy crap this stuff is nasty...it removed much of paint...got a spec on my arm...started to burn and I washed off quickly),
  • Spent much time removing remaining paint with twisted wire cup on grinder.
  • POR marine clean (hit it three times, then washed off with water)
  • POR metal ready (kept it "wet" for ~40 minutes, then washed with water)
  • Careful not to touch the hitch with bare hands
  • Let it sit in garage for a few days (daughter's softball tourney)
  • Two light coats of POR15 brushed on
  • Let cure for two days
  • Scuffed with scotch brite scouring pad (per POR phone support instructions...he said I could top coat when tacky, but I want to see how scuff works)
  • Two coats of Chassis Black through the paint gun

Conclusion:
  • Chassis Black looks pretty good sprayed over POR15. I did have to thin it with POR's solvent
  • Prep work was lengthy and tedious. If I have to do this again, sending hitch for sand-blasting, then epoxy primer and paint
  • My neighbors must think i'm crazy sitting on bucket, respirator on, safety glasses, hearing protection, welding gloves and grinder in hand...

Pictures

After aircraft remover

Started with metal grinding wheel...quickly moved to wire cup

After marine clean and metal ready...

2nd coat of Chassis black