View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #1162
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Had the body built only to find this today Removed the cab and bed is all, and the painter took the bed again. I may be on the road next year. So long, 6 years is a 10th of my life Three guys will be on body and paint, their shop is slow too.

I went pretty deep on the dry run. Less the upper rear bed, we had the height of the moldings near nuts on both sides without trying. Props to GM, the bodies are well engineered, we made few body alterations.

One of the upper bed moldings had bow near center, so we found a happy medium and finished 1/8" off a match at the rear. The front RH door to fender matched within 1/32" where they're supposed to be, I know why, we'll get it right at build. I'm only referring to placement of the moldings, not holes drilled.

Ended up shimming the fenders of course, basic cab cushion shims. Front RH cowl panel a whopping 3/16", the RH pillar took 1/8", mix on the LH door striker, and an 1/8" shim at the RH front bed for level and straight.

For what it's worth, with new cushions etc. there's a 1" gap between the cab and the top front bed panel. It also measures 3.9" from the rear of the frame rails to the back of the bed floor. I'm interested to know what others find, partially because I need to modify brackets for a rear bumper. Distance from the rear of the frame rails to a sport bumper would be exceptional help.

The bed is crooked and the cushions shot on my C20 It measures within 2/10" at 7/10" from the cab to front bed panel, and 3.7" from frame rail to end of bed floor.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-25-2020 at 04:12 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote