View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 AM   #1333
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Good luck finding an acerage. That's what we wanted and still do. It'll have to wait though.....
I'm working on a deal I think will work out. I'll post something if it does. It'll mean I get a new shop!

And I have been getting things done on the truck. Time to post the evidence.

Last weekend I did get the radiator mounted. The new one is just a bit thinner than the 4 core I took out. It's about 1/4" thinner in the rubber mounts.

It also is about 1/4" taller in the mounts. I don't think the radiator itself is any taller. Its just how it's built where it sits in the mounts. To get it down a bit I cut an edge off the rubbers...

If you don't have a fan shroud like me (and you don't) I doubt there would be any issues using the OEM mounts and clamping it down. With just a little trimming I could get my shroud over it ok.

Shroud on...

The next job was the new fan controller. I didn't mount it in the vehicle like the instructions say and I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass later but it also said not to mount it near any of the computers or other electronics. So that didn't leave me many options. I will try to make a cover for it but I'm not too worried about it getting wet where I mounted it.

I needed to change how the bottom of the fan shroud was held in place and came up with a simple solution. Just a ell bracket that mounts to the bottom of the radiator support. A few screws and it should be good.

Mounted. Needs a touch of paint and a couple more screws into the shroud itself.

Need to clean up the wiring a bit and make a cover, but it's in and works as designed. I let it run for about an hour. Mostly just sitting in the driveway and just a couple blocks of driving around. It never went past mid way on the temp gauge. The fans will run for a couple minutes after you shut off the engine and thats long enough to cool the radiator down. It really seems to transfer the heat fast. Of course the real test is on the road and thats coming Saturday.

Something else on my hit list was replacing a couple U bolts on the lower control arms. When I rebuilt the front suspension last year I cross threaded one and had to buy a replacement. The new ones were a lot beefier than the OEM parts and only cost about $6 I think. So I bought another pair for the other side...

Tonight I got started on replacing the blinker switch in the steering column. Total PITA but it needed to be done. The new part is installed but I need to finish the electrical part. I have a few helpful tips I figured out doing it and will share those on my next post. Whats left is to finish the blinker switch, maybe see if I can make the horn work like it's supposed to, if I have time I'd like to swap the tach with the new one I have, change the oil, pack and go.

On a side note, I bought another crew cab. A 4x4 this time. I'll post something up on that soon too. But it's late and I have to work tomorrow so have a good night everyone.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote