View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: M20 shifting problems w/ Hurst Shifter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Previous owner put a supposedly rebuilt M20 in my 1968 C10 with a Hurst Competition Plus 4-Speed Shifter. Have only driven it probably 20-30 miles and during a somewhat spirited 3rd to 2nd downshift, the tranny got stuck in 2nd gear (with the gear shift lever stuck in the neutral position).

I was able to nurse it home in 2nd and removed the shifter hump to take a look at things. I just messed with the gear shift levers and it suddenly freed itself up. I adjusted the shifter using the "alignment hole" per Hurst instructions (using a 1/4 drill bit), and am still having issues. It appears the 1-2 shift lever wasn't fully clicking into the neutral position (it would be close but was still hanging up somewhat, preventing a shift over into the 3-4 gate). Was able to adjust that rod a little shorter and address that issue, but now, randomly, it appears that on the 2nd to 3rd shift, the 3rd-4th shifter rod is binding and it either takes a ton of effort to slam it into 3rd gear or it will free up if you go into 4th gear from 2nd instead of 3rd. It only binds like this 1 out of 6-8 times of going through the gears (I'm doing this all with the engine not running at this point).

I popped the rods off the shifter and it seems the 1-2 and 3-4 shift lever rods on the actual transmission take excessive effort to get to click into position. I'm wondering if I should be pulling the side cover and inspecting the shifter forks- can you adjust these at all to free them up? What should I be looking for?

Any tips would be helpful.

Nick
What viscosity oil do you have in the trans?

Too heavy and the synchros bind up and prevent shifts...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote