Thread: Storage in bed
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 06:49 AM   #20
LT7A

Re: Storage in bed

Quote:
Kids in the Yukon and luggage in the "box" although sometimes we wanted to switch that around.
Haha!

This kinda got my imagination working. Some great ideas here. Whatever you get, I assume that you are going to unpack it for the night if you stay in a hotel, in which case I'd recommend that you leave it open. Which means you'll need to fasten it in such a way it can't just be unbolted or somebody will steal the box! I like the idea of building something out of aluminum sheet and aluminum flat bar/angle. You could make it the exact size you want and bolt it together. I agree with the above thought that really, unfortunately, all you're trying to do is make it hard enough that they go on to somebody else's vehicle. Sad state of affairs. But I think building an exoskeleton of flat bar and angle where they can see they are going to have to spend several minutes there with a grinder, would make them move on. You could even get it welded up when you're done if you want. I think an exoskeleton with a sheet metal enclosure and heavy duty fasteners would give you a fighting chance. The job site box is going to attract attention but probably be the strongest of the options mentioned. If I made my own box, I would get a professionally printed label that said something like "EVER-TOUGH -- grinder resistant" and put it right by the locks. How do they know? Or spray with a matte finish warm gray sealer, and put big stickers on it that say TITANIUM. Anyway, good luck, I hope you have a good trip.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote