View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Problems with transmission - torque converter

What does your transmission guy say?

Unless the bolt holes for the torque convertor are enlarged, I can't think of a good reason for it to move. Okay, whatever takes the place of the pilot bushing on a stick....is that the bearing you asked about? I don't have any experience with torque convertors like these so I'm not the guy with the answer.

The reason I mentioned the bolt hole thing is from personal experience. I had a '56 Merc and it had a slight metallic rattle. It was diagnosed as a bad flex plate. That is a flywheel in today's jargon. Anyway, it had three tabs that were riveted to the it and that is what the torque convertor was attached to. They had the tiniest bit of movement....maybe a millimeter, but that was enough play to create one heckuva clank at idle. It didn't affect anything else, but it was embarassing for a 19-yr old boy...and in the company of new '66 GTO's.....at stop lights. So, to compensate, I'd hold the brake down, and give it a little gas. That was called "jackin' it up". Yep, usually meant that you wanted to race. That old Merc was no slouch on the bottom and I had a lot of fun.

What you might do is what I did....hold the brake and give it some gas to see if the noise gets worse or quits. It won't fix anything, but you'll have some more ammo.

Good luck.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote