View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #149
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Re: Perfect night for a run

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
If you ride regularly, wear a helmet. Eventually that aerodynamic hole filled hat very well could be the difference between walking away and being a vegetable.

Going down with the hat is far safer than without and it happens so fast you don't really have time to steer your head away from the hard bits that are rising up to meet you.

-klb
It’s funny but, driving to the park/trail this morning as I approached the trail (I have to cross over the trail to get to the parking lot at the park) I look to my right and at the last second look to my left and saw an older guy on a bicycle with a helmet. I stopped in plenty of time and I wasn’t driving very fast. I thought had I hit him the helmet wouldn’t have done much good.

I know most folks mean well when they suggest wearing a helmet.
Thanks for not saying that it’s stupid to not wear a helmet.

I know 4 people in the last couple of years that were hit by a car/truck. None of them were wearing helmets.
Last September my friends hit a truck goin 55mph on their motorcycle. My buddies wife sustained worse injuries. I drove them to church and grocery store for quite some time. Neither one had a helmet on. She may have had a concussion...I can’t remember. They both had some extremely serious injuries.

I’ve read automobile accidents account for the most head injuries and #2 are pedestrians. Cyclists are on down the list.
I’ve also read that it’s safer to not wear a helmet.
I think the Netherlands and Denmark have the most cyclists and most don’t wear helmets.

I think helmets could help in some situations and not so much in most cases.

Last edited by kingsolver72; 07-07-2020 at 08:32 PM.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote