View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #43
Willowrun

Re: Had to buy - '77 Suburban

It's been a while, but progress was being made. Since last update the lowering and other undercarriage work is 90% complete. I try to have my shop at least 32 degrees when working in it, so with the little heater I have struggling to keep it there I did lose several days during the last couple months. With that said, several layers of clothes plus carhartts do dampen the harshness of crawling around on concrete so I guess the cold does have an up side.
Since last installment I've installed all new brakes, ball joints, entire steering system from box down (tie rods, steering arm, etc), and u-joints, along with changing out the trans speedo bullet and shift selector seal. What took me 30 seconds to type took me 2 months to actually complete....sigh.
Something that slowed me down a bit was the drop spindles I purchased. I purchased CPP 2.5 inch spindles and installed them. Once I went to install the tie rods it was apparent that the tapered hole was undersized. I searched on here and yup, it's happened to others. I called Summit and they offered more expensive Western spindles as a replacement and got to them to me quickly. I have to admit the CPP's machined surfaces looked much better and were better looking castings, but the Western's had the right sized holes so back went the CPP's to Summit.
Still need to install shocks and front sway bar and then it's on to finishing some bodywork and getting the interior up to snuff.
Here are some pics from today with the new shoes. I cut one coil up front. Seems just a slight bit nose high so I'm contemplating cutting another 1/4 coil.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote