View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 01:06 AM   #337
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Getting back to the action, we left our moonscape campsite to explore more of the lunar surface near Factory Butte.

We came back to Hanksville for a splash of gas, restock of suds and maybe an ice cream bar. Then we went right back to dirt. Found a clear spot on high ground as recent afternoon rains had been causing serious flooding.

Al Pastor pork tacos on the menu that night. We don't go hungry on these trips.

The drone I picked up was pretty fun to screw around with..

Nights in the desert are pretty sweet too.

Looking back on the Henry Mountains we started out our trip in.

We decided to go back into Poison Spring Canyon like we did two years earlier.

It's always cool to find water out here. Provides a great place to stop while I wait for the rest to catch up. Pretty good relief walking around in it to cool off too.

The trail goes steeply down to the river in the bottom of the canyon to cross and begin climbing back up again.

This is about as close to a selfie you'll get. I used my knockoff go-pro to catch me out in the middle checking the depth. Might have been an excuse to get into the water again as it was HOT and there is no a/c in my truck. The water was much deeper than the last time. I was up to my knees this time due to the runoff from all the recent rains.

Not a bad campsite.

Our last day on the trail led us south to Mexican Hat where we refueled and headed over to Monument Valley. I swore I saw the Road Runner and Coyote run by us at one point.

The Blazer made it back without issue. The new transmission with deeper first gear proved to be killer in downhill runs and steep climbs. Just let out the clutch and let it creep along.

I made a quick weekend trip to the mountains with my sis and her hubby in the summer and got skunked fishing. Came back and prepped for Blazer Bash again. My plan was for my son and I to go out early and take on White Rim trail within Canyonlands with my buddy Bill.

However, the truck had other plans. We took off and started up the initial climb up I-70 west of Denver and the 8.1 was WAY down on power. Like needing 3rd gear to maintain 45mph and slowing down. I pulled off the highway to a parking lot and scanned for codes with my phone and sure enough it was setting lean fuel trim codes, misfires. Sure felt like it was not getting enough fuel. Hooked up my gauge and confirmed my thought. 45psi. Should be a solid 20psi more and I was honestly surprised it actually ran with that low of fuel pressure. Ordered a Delphi pump at the Napa near my house and headed that way to pick it up. Called my Dad to let him know what was up and picked up lunch.

So the start of our trip has us back in the driveway siphoning fuel out of a completely full tank.

The kid was a major help to rip the tank out and back in again. And to head off the obvious, no I'm not cutting a hole in the floor to make that job easier. There's too much crap from the camper in the way.

Sucess! 65 PSI! Let's hit the road! Bill had already left Pueblo for us to meet outside of Canyonlands. Dad thought we were nuts, but the truck ran like a top. Back to climbing passes in 5th again.

We crossed the state line at 11:59 so my goal to get into Utah that day was met. The next morning we checked in at the National park visitors center for our permits and to secure a campsite on White Rim. That trail is a right at a 100 mile loop from end to end covering the top of a huge mesa that has the Colorado River on it's east and the Green River on it's west. There are no facilities short of the few campsites. No fuel, water or anything unless you bring it with you. Our kind of fun. The Schaffer switchbacks drop you into the area from the visitors center.

We had lunch on the Colorado river by taking a side trail down to it.

Our campsite was up on Murphy's Hogback. Amazing spot.

The night sky was very bright with a near full moon. But still it was fun to get some night shots.

Continued....
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote