View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #35
FLYNAVY30

Re: 1972 C20 build and adventure thread

The only downside to the new brake upgrade was that the aluminum Wilwood D52 calipers were just slightly larger than the stock iron D52 calipers....which meant the 16" steel wheels no longer fit. Unfortunately, period looking 17 inch wheels with the correct 8 lug pattern are pretty much non-existent. Everything looks like some gaudy piece of crap you would see on a new, jacked up GMC Sierra in the latest pop-country music video.

The least offensive wheels I could find were these American Racing Baja's in black. After getting the new BFG KO2's mounted, they've actually grown on me. I went up one more size on the tires to fill out the wheel wells as much as I could, again, without going to a lift. The new wheel/tire combo actually netted me an additional 1.5 inches of ground clearance, although the speedo is now off by 3 MPH at 60. While I was under the truck, I also replaced the shocks with a set of Ride Tech single adjustable units. They're a little spendy, but the ability to adjust the rebound added a degree of tune-ability to the suspension the helped improve the covered-wagon ride quality.
Attached Images

Last edited by FLYNAVY30; 05-03-2019 at 11:34 PM.
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote