Thread: Wheel adapter
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 05:46 PM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: Wheel adapter

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfish_63
Does anyone know if you can get a wheel adapter to change from 8 lugs to 5 or six lugs. It is just easier to find rims with 5 or 6 lugs
To answer your question, yes. To add an unsolicited 2 cents... 1) you're going to immediately impact your backspacing by 1" positive offset or more. That adapter has to be thick enough to still have a flat mounting surface for the wheel after you've lugged it onto the existing rotor/drum; and 2) You will pay a small fortune for them (or you will get cheapo ones that will be deadly dangerous). I machined some adapters many moons ago for a Mazda pickup I did... that was long before you could crack open a magazine and order bolt-on everything for your trucks. I did a set of Momo Aries, which were 4 x 108 on the Mazda's 6 x ??? (I forget). Since the Aries were FWD wheels, the offset was already pretty nutso, so I actually made my adapters a little thicker than 1". That gave me ideal offset to get the wheels out of the steering gear and control arms and still tuck neatly under the fenders when I opened the valve out of my front and rear air shocks and dumped the truck (yes, the "way back then" air suspension!).

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote