View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Cgoldhill

Re: Correct motor and transmission mount set up

Good to hear. I was afraid someone was going to respond with "you ruined your crank idiot!" or something like that. Is the extra set of mounts redundant though? If they're unnecessary, I'd rather just run the rear trans mount and pop out the middle crossmember for better under engine access for repairs.

I just checked that area you suggested and see there was some oil build up from the base of that oil port and what looked like a nice sheen of fresh oil leading to the clutch lever hole. I have an in cab oil pressure gauge and theres an adapter fitting at that port to a hard line. The inside of the bellhousing also gets covered in oil but i always found it odd that the flywheel has no oil on it at all. I'm thinking oil leaking from the port flowed down the bellhousing into the clutch lever hole and the rotation motion of the clutch assembly is whipping the oil around to then collect at the starter. Im not experiencing any clutch slip which I'd think I'd notice immediately if the clutch was getting soaked in oil. Fitting didnt feel loose but I backed it off 1/8 turn and retightened it another 1/4 turn. Ran the motor and revved and not seeing anything coming out. Also checked the rtv between the backside of the intake manifold and lifter valley and didnt see any blow outs. Again though, this only seemed to happen at high load so it may not even be possible to recreate the issue in my driveway.

I have permadry plus valve cover gaskets and may have torqued them too tight previously. I'm going to pop the covers off, make sure they are straight and properly torque them instead of good and snug.

Once I've eliminated all of these potential causes, I'll go for another test ride and if it still leaks, I may put in a new rear seal. Should I do decide to dive into the rear main, I'm fairly sure there is currently a Fel-Pro 2900 rear main installed if thats what comes in the gasket sets. It could also be the regular BSXXXX standard main. Is the 2912 a large improvement over the 2900?

As for the trans, I don't hear anything out of the ordinary but this is my first Muncie and between the oil school Weiand 142 gear chatter at idle, dolphin noises when it revs and the gear noises the Muncie makes normally, I'm not exactly confident I know its all good. The throwout bearing makes some noises as it changes when I push the clutch in and out. I know the oil leaking out is definitely fresh new motor oil, not stinky gear oil from the Muncie but where the oil tends to collect on the trans side in the bellhousing and not the flywheel side is what is confusing and makes me think its not a rear main.

Any more info is greatly appreciated! I'm actively working on the truck now and will check this post periodically. Thanks!
Cgoldhill is offline   Reply With Quote