View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #50
chevy3100truck

Re: #corona10truck - 77 C-10, pancaked crossmember - z'd frame etc etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That's my bet as well. A 6/8 drop is a great profile stance for the Squares but not enough ground clearance w/a typical static drop. Once you factor in the sectioned x-member & mild 'Z' mods you did that's an extra 3.5" of clearance vs the typical spindle/spring combo. Add some 2.5" spindles & you're @ your desired 6" front drop w/a stock length coil/shock combo for a very decent ride quality.

The way you re-engineered the rear mounting points gives you the easy flip kit drop number & then some but w/better shock angles. There is bed space sacrificed this way but even w/a typical 6-7" of rear static drop via flip kit you'd likely be banging on the c-notches & tapping the bed floor occasionally.

Eliminating that interference = better ride quality. I would gladly sacrifice 3-4" of cargo space for a no-interference ride quality.

Is this going to be a stepper or fleet?
I think you're correct on the suspension situation, just trying to keep it somewhat comfortable, it's not going to set the world on fire for handling or performance, just a lowish truck static dropped.

The rear axle right now is sitting more or less at the same level as the old bumpstop without a box on the truck, or fuel tank etc etc, so even with a c-notch it probably would have hammered it occasionally, and I may end up putting a 4-link & air on this thing down the road, so figured I might as well step it (plus I had the 3/16" steel anyhow, so it was just a matter of cutting it out and welding it up - trying to keep this as low-buck as possible - I'm only into this thing for about $3200 Canadian right now)

I've got a fleetside box that's in decent condition, so that's going to go on it (needs a bit of repair, but not too bad). I'm not to concerned about losing a bit of cargo area on this truck, it probably won't end up with anything in the bed anyhow, but I'm sure someone will be annoyed when I cut up the mint box floor lol.