View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

Re: swapping in a saginaw 3spd OD..need info

I just put the Muncie version (4 bolt side cover) in my 63 over Christmas break. Did not have to shorten driveshaft from the old, long tail shaft 3 speed. Just needed a new yoke with different splines. Mine is a long bed, but it had a one piece driveshaft when I got it.
I love it, and it completely changed the driveability of the truck. I can run around 70 mph at around 2200 rpm with 3.73 gears and 255/70r15 tires
I have mine set up to factory operation except for the HEI distributor mod and using a studebaker switch instead of the GM switch to keep costs down.

Here is the one biggest thing that I did not find out until the trans did it: DO NOT let the trans attempt to engage overdrive while the engine is freewheeling. This situation will happen when you are going downhill in a neighborhood and want to stay below the cut in speed of the OD trans (around 28 mph). If you allow the truck to reach that cut in speed, but the engine is sitting at idle, it will try to engage OD, and it made a big clunk and shook the whole truck. I thought I broke something, but thankfully it still works. That makes sense in my head, but if it doesn't to you, let me know so I can clarify more. Don't want anyone to make a possible expensive mistake

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote