View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #669
Beach-Burban

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I did some seat spring repairs yesterday. The drivers side bolster spring was only half there. I got some what I call S spring and reconfigured it to sort of match the spring on the passenger side. I had to make new attachment bands as one I tried to remove flew off to never, never be found land. And the other one had gone there long ago. I cut up a Simpson Tie nail on reinforcement plate to make the connection bands.
Rebending the spring wasn't too tough. One needs to be careful though as it is a spring and it will throw the tool your using to bend it across the room. Don't ask!
I used a small vice and probably spent as much time looking for a better tool to bend the spring for each different bend than actually bending the spring.
The first photo is what was left of the broken spring. The 2nd photo is the intact passenger side. The 3rd photo is the S spring I used as a base material. And finally the finished repair.
Hopefully it will pass the test of time.
Nice job HO455...I had so many broken springs on my front bench that I only thought about fixing it myself for about a half second, then realized that the upholsterer would have everything needed to pull it off. Seeing everything else you have done yourself, I'm not surprised you took on the challenge! Have a happy 4th!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote