View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #58
AussieinNC

Re: Need help with my first 350 sbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
I looked up the stud replacement kits, they look pretty good, I might get the shoulder type with the hex head in the center.
What kind of tap with I need? A bottoming two correct?

will I need tO replace the crank and cam pulleys as well along with the timing chain?

If my cam is off because of the timing chain skipping, how can I get the cam to re-time with the crank?
The hex style studs need the top of the rocker casting to be machined down, one to accommodate the height of the hex section and two, to provide a flat surface for the new stud to lock to...

If you want to save some money and your use is basically street, you can follow these directions...be aware perform this at your own risk...if there are more than one or two studs are pulled, you are better off pulling the heads and having the posts machined.

In the old days this is how we stopped studs pulling out when using high spring pressures.

Place the nut back on the stud upside down and flush with the top of the stud....drive the stud back into the head until the end is the same height as the others....take a 1/8" drill and drill through the cast post approx 1/2" down from the top of the post. Drill thru the cast post and the stud and back out the other side of the post...then drive a 1/8" short roll pin thru the hole. Make sure you use lube on the drill and pack the area with grease covered rags to catch the shavings.

This will lock the stud to the post.....
Attached Images

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

Last edited by AussieinNC; 07-11-2020 at 03:37 PM.
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote