View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
jocko

Re: 1970 C-10 Tire Sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1970 View Post
Looks like I'll go with 8" and 255's all the way around for this build. Figured I'd be going over it twice in the long run, anyway. I would like the ability to return it to full stock eventually, if I should so have the whim, so no chopping or tubbing.
An excellent choice Eric! I'm with you, although rallies are not stock - they are so common on 67-72, many assume they are. And the just look darn good.

ncbugman,
Will need a bit more info - what kind of 15x8 freebie wheels do you have (rallies)? And what year is your truck?
- 71 is first year for 5 lug wheels on half ton trucks
- pre-71 had 6 lug wheels on half ton trucks
- all 3/4+ ton trucks had 8 luggers
- pre-71 6 lug wheels (steelies) will generally NOT fit disk brakes
- 71-87 K10 (i.e. 4WD steel steelie wheels AND 4WD rallies (rallies being post-72, that is)) will fit on pre-71 trucks with 6 lug wheels AND clear (most) disk brakes (i.e. these are a very common modification to pre-71 trucks, including 60-66 era, that allow a stock looking wheel (steelie) and disk brake clearance. They are 6" wide and externally identical to the 15x5.5 stock steelie once a hub cap or wheel cover is installed. Also available in 8" wide I believe.
- post-72 5 lug rallies (up to 8" wide) will fit a 71-72 5 lug truck and will not give you any clearance problems unless you go nuts on tire size. 255-70-15, as mentioned above really fills the wheel wells and clears everything.

Hope that helps, if not, let us know your specific application and we can narrow it down.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote