View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
rideair

Smaller Scratches

So today was a day of cleaning trim in prep for refinishing it with the SEM product and I starting to polish up the aluminum door sills. I've learned when cleaning the trim, work in the shade and look it over real well in the sun. You would be amazed how much dirt you can miss by not looking at the part in the direct sun light. As for the door aluminum sill plates, the driver’s door was the worse of them all. I guess it’s the salt from winter that gives aluminum heck.

Lucky for me, I have some vintage Airstream trailers and understand the polishing aspect of things. We joke that when polishing, you just keep making smaller and smaller scratches before buffing the smallest of the small out. Unlike the Airstream, I was able to use sandpaper to get out some of the corrosion, starting with 220 grit and working up to 1000. Again, smaller and smaller scratches. Did not get it out completely, but it was a good first pass today since time had to be taken to hop on the riding lawn mower and put in a few hours.
Attached Images

rideair is offline   Reply With Quote