View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
rideair

Re: 1988 Suburban Scottsdale 4x4

Wheels and tires are ready to go back on. After sanding down the rims by hand and a very careful tape-off job, I was able to paint the wheels back to the original Argent Silver. After looking around, it seemed most thought the Eastwood acrylic lacquer product was the best and closest to the original color that came from the factory. Will say, there was a learning curve painting with that paint it needs to go on wet and that there’s a very fine line between wet, making it run or drying before it hits the rim. Since I currently don’t have the time/cash to send the original beauty rings out to be restored and wheel centers out for chroming, it was decided to go with the repro’s off eBay. Will say this, the centers are very nice for the money spent, but the beauty rings (2.5 inches, close to original) are a little on the thin side. After beating two of them (and putting a slight kink in them) I took a pair of pliers and closed each of the hold tabs just to get them to go on. Oh well, you get what you pay for. But for something that will be a daily driver, they will work well until the originals can be sent off and redone.
Attached Images

rideair is offline   Reply With Quote