View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #136
67C10Step

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
It is a quiet moment thinking not doing something for one of our elders that you have done for years and then you lose them..you are a good son-in-law.

When my sis and her husband live on Lake Overcup near Morrillton ,,they would get wood cut and stacked by a nephew ,,and I noticed that when talking of getting wood for the winter that they spoke of Ricks and not Cords ,,I grew up in Oregon and burned many cords of wood in the 45 years living there ,,so it was new to me that people bought wood and stacked it by ricks.. nothing wrong with it ,,just not used to that way of sizing of wood stacks..and just something to talk about on here,,
GOPAPA,
Way funny, my father in law was born and raised in Morrilton. Crazy, small world. He and I got along famously for the 27 years my wife and I have been together. She often said if we ever split up he would keep me and let her go. He is going to me missed. We used to fly, fish, work, and plan all sorts of stuff we knew we'd never do. Fished the Fouche River south of Morrilton with him many times. Started my engineering career at the paper mill there as well.

This has been a real melancholy year for obvious reasons but also my last child left home for college. Turning off those outside lights and closing the garage door early that first night knowing nobody was coming home was a bit tough to take.

The term "rick" of wood is still commonly used in Arkansas although not officially recognized by the board of standards here. If you sell wood you are supposed to sell by the cord or partial cord. To my eyes, a rick is about 1/3 a cord. 4 feet tall x 8 feet long x 16 inches wide. Some argue that but when I cut and split three "ricks" make a cord. I cut about 16" lengths and split a bit smaller because my father in law could not handle big pieces and often times my wife would be building the fire as well.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote