View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #124
RockTonka

Re: 1958 Apache 38 Dually Dump Project

I hear you on the shiny, I didn't really plan it all that way but when you're out shopping for stuff and the shiny is only a few dollars more...I couldn't resist.

I like the idea of a charcoal colored block...shoulda thought of that. This is just a black block, not the greatest coverage though.

This engine was pretty clean but still needed a going through. I didn't want to drop big bucks into it, so reused as much as we could. Stock pistons/rods were in good shape as were cylinders, so no overbore...just rehone cylinders after vatting and magnafluxing the block. We did use ARP fasteners throughout along with milling both the heads and block a bit...as much for a true, clean seal surface as for bumping the compression a little...probably around 8.25 to 1 or so. All new bearings/seals/freeze plugs/rings of course, balanced the rotating assy, degree the cam, micro polish the crank, line bore (one main was a smidge tight). A "performance" valve job, well as much as possible with peanut ports , bronze valve guides, 3/8 push rods w/ new guide plates.
We used the basic Edelbrock Performer package with their #2162 cam (218*/228* @.050 and .295/.295 in/ex), the #2161 intake, and a #1411 750 cfm square bore carb.
Dropped a MSD Street fire dist in with 8mm Taylor wires and found a inexpensive set of no-name block huggers (on clearance at a local speed shop - we'll see how long they last).
We think this will be a good match for the SM465 (and 4.10 R&P) we'll be using.
Attached Images

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote