View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 02:13 AM   #42
rowdy11

Re: Lola: My Moon Shot 70 SWB K10

Much to update as I haven't written for a while.

Got the crossmember machined and finished. I was able to finally get the engine and transmission up on the motor mounts. Yea!!!!!!! Huge milestone for me.

Problem #1: Turns out...the tailshaft of the transmission was too long for the advance adapters NP205 kit and bottomed out at 3/4 inch too short... I contacted Advance Adapters, tried the spacer kit they recommended to me (2 actually) and both spacer kits were made for the Atlas transfer case. The wouldn't fit with the shifter rails from the 205. I thought about cutting the spacer to make space, but the clocking ring also didn't match the Advance Adapter kit face I installed as part of the 205. So none of the bolts would match up....go figure.

The solution was to trim the tailshaft output and the female adapter input on the transfer case and they snugged right up!

Problem #2: I ordered a crossmember from a supplier and they somehow missed that my transmission was for a 4X4 rather than a 2X4. So I had to send that crossmember and more importantly, the transmission mount back.

But I found a perfect replacement for the 6L80/90 from an early 2000 Energy Suspension transmission mount replacement for a several models of GM truck.

And as a bonus...I think I'll be able to use my original transmission crossmember by fabricating a brace between the transmission mount and the crossmember. I mounted up the transfer case frame brace and measured how far off my transfer case is tonight with the help of a friend. Right now it only sits about 1.25 inches further back than the original transmission and engine. I can use my original holes for both that and the transmission brace with a minimal amount of fabrication to both.

Problem #4: Even with the motor mounts pushed all the way forward, I suspect the engine will be very close to the firewall as it sits. Can't go further forward however because the Dirty Dingo mounts won't allow much more space with the oil pan. Over the next two days I'm going to re-attach the heads and accessories to see if they will fit and hopefully clear the firewall and frame. I think it should work and plan on adding a spacer or two to the motor mounts just to give me a hair more clearance between the oil pan and crossmember. I also can't go much further back unless I want to re-drill into the frame.

Problem $5: A small one. I also took the time to mount up my Boyds tank in the rear. I had to trim just a bit off the mounting plate to get it to fit flush under the frame between a rear parking brake mount and the rear suspension hangar. Unfortunately, the mounting plates on both sides of the tank may interfere just a bit with one of the three mounts for my tow receiver. Again, shouldn't be a big deal and I think I can work around it.

More updates to come this week since I'm off work for the holidays.
Attached Images

rowdy11 is offline   Reply With Quote