View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #53
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: 1973 K20 Build Thread

Okay, let's get this thing going again. I have only worked on the truck about 3 or 4 days in the last 2 weeks. Check out the old spark plug wires. Several were burned and cracked, it is amazing the truck still ran as well as it did.

Here is a close up of my new power steering pump and brackets installed. One of the issues I had to deal with that I completely forgot about was the fact that I ordered a set of 8mm wires from Summit and I didn't consider the fact that I wanted to run them UNDER the ram's horn manifolds. The wires I ordered are the correct ones for the log manifolds and are designed to go OVER the manifolds, so they are shorter. Instead of ordering another set and/or buying universal ones, all one has to do is buy wires that are designed for vehicles with small blocks and ram's horns. Corvettes, older Chevys, take your pick. I remembered I had a new set in the garage that were for my '65 Impala, so I just used those. No biggie for an all original non-hi-po engine.

I used stainless steel bolts to mount the manifolds along with a healthy dose of anti-seize. The bolt that mounts the PS pump bracket was too short, so I ran down to Lowe's and got a 2 1/2 bolt and it fit up perfectly. For anyone who doesn't know this, Lowe's has a pretty extensive collection of automotive bolts/hardware/clips and other hard to find automotive hardware in the drawers in the hardware section. They even have the correct body bolts!

There is also a close up of my water-neck temp gauge and my QJet during rebuild. Here are the areas that are notorious for leaking on the older QJets. I put marine JB Weld on there. The verdict is not quite out on this, as some say JB Weld won't stand up to the heat cycles, and others say it will work. We'll see what happens. Many different opinions on this.
Attached Images

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 11-27-2010 at 03:35 PM.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote