View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #67
Beach-Burban

Re: The more I learn...the more puzzled I become!

Sometimes...I am the cause of my puzzlement! Awhile ago, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the parts for my "spring" project...and I'm not sure why, but I felt like I stumbled into a "one and done" ordering situation when I found everything I was looking for while scanning through LMC's online catalog. Price wise it made sense, as I also added some items I will be needing in the future (door and window seals plus more) so I ended up getting free delivery.

I am partially happy with my decision, especially with the front springs...as these were listed for a big block, and without raising my ride-height, they keep my front end from diving down like the old ones allowed. It stays pretty much flat when making exaggerated turns (not that I plan on "auto-crossing" with it), but it is a big improvement. The new front bump stops won't have to work as hard as the old ones (uppers were flattened away to nearly nothing, and lowers had traveled into the spring retainer plate enough to sheer the edge nearly all the way through).

I was also able to order OEM style rubber bushings for both the tracking and trailing arms (originals looked pretty sad) as well as the rear bump stops (which looked pretty good but were hard as rocks!). I think I messed up with the rear springs, though. I went with the variable-rate springs (same part number for 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton) but shyed away from the HD, as I thought it might end up pushing the rear of body up more than it was. As it is now, the new springs give me the exact same ride-height that I had with the old springs, and they do feel comfortable on rough roads and dips...but that's without a load (other than a full 45 gallon tank and 3 bench seats). My skepticism arose when I looked underneath and saw that the same 3 coils were compressed just as much as my original variable-rate springs were compressed??? I will put some miles on these and see if all is well...and I can always order a set of the HD springs if need be (lesson learned). Thank you to all the members that gave advice...especially Richard and Greg (FLYNAVY)! You both suggested the HD, so I've got no one to blame but myself (which is a good thing!).

I do want to "fess up" and say that I had my mechanic buddy provide the labor, as I want to help his business rebound after the shutdowns nearly put him into "early retirement"...but in the pursuit of being 100% honest, I'll add that my body doesn't appreciate laying on the ground under vehicles anymore! Darn old age!!!

Woody

Name:  IMG_1745.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1740.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1744.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  49.2 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote