View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: frame pics of slammed trucks with gooseneck balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoluxury View Post
sorry dude just struck a nerve there. thanks for your opinion and the pics now it's time to sit back and have a
It is no biggie man, and don't get me wrong, I love the look of a slammed crew cab dually sitting on some big semi wheels. And I want to take a minute to further explain why I made the argument that I did.

I used to drive a 4 Axle heavy haul Pete with a 4 Axle Hydraulic Detach RGN Double Drop Lowboy, I could stuff about 100,000 lbs in the Well and chuck on down the road and a blistering speed of 45-50 MPH. The trailer fully loaded had a ground clearance of about 6"-7" All of the time pulling in and out of driveways and parking lots the biggest problem was setting the trailer down on the ground.

Now, I did on this truck have a valve I could use to lift the truck and trailer via the air ride, and help get over these obstacles, but none the less it made it much more difficult to get in and out of places, even when the trailer was empty, so you can imagine what a chore it was when the trailer had a 13' wide Grove Crane on it that weighed in at 98,000 lbs!

I was always lucky that I never got the truck hung up so bad I couldnt get it out, but that wont always be the case, last year I was working in the office at a crane company here and one of our drivers got our RGN high centered in a Walmart parking lot, I had to jump in a winch truck and boogie out there, and by the time I got there highway patrol had already called a rotational wrecker to pull him clear, Luckily for us I got there before the wrecker did, and I pulled him free with the winch truck. The wrecker driver informed us had I not showed up when I did that he would have written us a bill for over a grand.

Another bad experience I had was on my old KW that I used to own, I was booking down a road in Iowa, went over a set of train tracks doing 65 mph and managed to rip 4 of the 60" stainless steel polished show boxes off spilling their contents everywhere, and severely damage 3 of the ones that remained on the truck. The boxes cost 695.00 each or so. Normally I wouldn't make such a stupid mistake but it was 3AM. That night cost me over 8 grand because a lot of stuff was destroyed, and some of it was lost.

This is the truck after I hit the boxes, I never even got a photo of it with them all on there.

This is what I wound up doing with it to get some ground clearance. Before everywhere I went with it I had clearance issues.

Also something you might get a kick out of is this here.

These are the trailers I am building to pull behind my 85 Dually,

Both are going to have air ride suspension and hydraulic tilt decks with hydraulic winches, they will be great for pulling cars, especially the Triple axle, because I will be able to get 2 at a time when impounding. Also I will be able to haul motor homes and other such medium duty vehicles on it which will help make some money too.

Also just for show N' tell here are the wheels I am putting on it, they are a 19.5" 8 lug.

I am going to wrap them in a set of Michelin XDS2's They are a really awesome set of tires, I had em on my Semi, well the XDN2's but they are the 19.5" version, they were great tires, on my Semi they wound up with over 380,000 miles on em before it had to get re shooed. I will be ticked pink if I can get 100K plus out of em. Also the 19.5's on a pickup are supposed to give you a couple of MPG. I figure between that and the Cummins my pocket book should get a little relief because with the 468 Big block in there now it is getting 9.25 MPG, loaded, unloaded, up hill or down hill, so anything is going to be an improvement.

By the way, you should post some pics of yours!