View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

Blown Head Gasket :(

Well the title says it all.

1972 c10 with 350SBC and th350. Engine details: I have about 20,000 miles on the rebuild I did about 4 years ago in my garage. The reason for that rebuild was a blown head gasket. That one was because the head gasket and engine were 20 years old and had sat for 8 years in my driveway with tap water in the block and not being ran.
So I bored the block out to 0.040 over, installed rebuilders pistons, zero decker the block, installed a comp cams XE250H cam kit. Roller topped rockers, a set of remanufactured 882 heads. Stock qjet and stock iron intake. Since then a lot has changed. Ran a 2101 intake for most of the time up until about a month ago when j found out my qjet had cracked venturi booster walls. So a buddy gave me a brand new 2701 edelbrock performer EPS intake with a brand new 1406 performer carburetor. I had to recalibrate the carb which I just had gotten dialed in when this happened. Which was lastnight.
The gasket I'd blown on the driver side cylinder head. I know this for sure because I have true dual exhaust and I have the exhaust crossover ports blocked off.
So I have my work cut out for me this weekend. The only positive I can see in all of this is that I was planning on changing my oil this weekend anyways. Theres always a positive in any situation. The thing I'm wrestling with in my mind is that I'm supposed to get a set of 041 casting cylinder heads from a buddy of mine. But they need to be overhauled and stiffer valve springs installed. But that's at least a week or two out if I were to get them today and get them to the machine shop. This truck is my daily driver so that's not an option. So I will have to just go ahead with the gasket replacement and do it again if and when I get those other cylinder heads.

The other crazy thing is, I have a job interview on Tuesday morning. That's not the crazy part. The crazy part is that I had this exact same job interview last year in March for the same position with the same company. Obviously I didnt get the job, but one week later to the day after the interview I wrecked my truck. It was out of commission for 8 months. But I got it back on the road. Now to have this kind of repair ahead of my scheduled interview is Kind of strange that's all. Lol.
Oh well. It is what it is. And nothing to it but to do it.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote