View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #13
AussieinNC

Re: Blown Head Gasket :(

Mike, your last pic posted shows me the water port at approx 11 o clock location has a small crack at its head bolt hole, that hole does extend into the water gallery space. Can almost guarantee the block surface area between the hole and the cylinder wall is warped....and may be the source of the leak. I downloaded the pic and enlarged the image.

The presence of water in cyl 7 is obvious due to the reduced amount of carbon present on piston top.

If it were mine I would be pulling the engine and have it checked more closely for cracks...if good have it decked, then install studs instead of bolts...studs can achieve much better clamping force over a bolt.

The lower outer row of head bolt holes with oil in them seems strange...you sure you didnt put oil on the threads when installing them? There is no oil pathway to those bolts in the block.

If time and money are a concern, grab some composite style head gaskets and use lots of brush on sealant on both sides of the gasket when installing.

One thing to check real close is that corresponding area on the head that matches where I indicated....check for cracks and warping....much easier to machine head now while it is off....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

Last edited by AussieinNC; 11-04-2018 at 10:11 AM.
AussieinNC is online now   Reply With Quote