View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 10:35 PM   #70
msg

Re: 350 GM Crate Motor questions for a 66 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Sorry for the late response, don't get bummed out because an L46 is the Corvette RPO number for the same L31 350 ci Vortec V8... https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+l...+specs&ie=&oe=
Thanks for the response Ironangel, the RPO code your saying doesnt represent an L46 engine like I was assuming? It just happens to be a code they are using for the L31? Sorry for the dumb question, this stuffs confusing to me.

Quote:
A carbed Vortec will require an intake manifold designed for a carb, a spreadbore design in your case since your using the greatest carb ever made, a Quadrajet. Do your research, when you get that thing running your going to smile and realize you bought the right motor...
Im a long way off from getting this thing going but so looking forward to the day. I do have the Edelbrock intake for that spreadbore just waiting to be installed next!

Quote:
A 1/4-20 bolt gets 10 ft lbs, double that for 5/16-18 bolts, 20 ft. lbs. Double that for 3/8-16 bolts, 40 ft. lbs. 7/16-14 bolts get 60 ft. lbs and 1/2-13 gets 90 ft lbs. Those are grade-5 specs. Unless your using a specified nut you don't need grade-8 bolts. A grade-8 bolt used in a shallow threaded cast iron hole such as a motor mount hole can lead to BIG trouble!
I never knew that doubling rule, thanks. I assumed Grade 8 was the better choice for its strength than grade 5 so that is what I bought. I did buy the 1 inch 3/8-16 and noticed how they were bottoming out with 40lb ft lb torgue leaving the motor mount to have a gap. So I backed out the first one I did and then added a lock washer to make up the difference and did that on the other 5 that I installed. Did I screw up? Wouldnt a grade 5 1inch bolt have the same issue?
Attached Images