View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
In The Ten Ring

Re: Need another pic: hooked up battery area.

Yes, that is also the same location mine uses for the driver side marker light. It would help to know what year your truck is and if it has lighted side markers or reflectors. I have seen the side markers wired a couple different ways on trucks that appeared to be unmolested.

Truck is a 1972. Wiring should be largely original although dad did mess with it some. Mine has lighted side markers.

Block is attached correctly. Need to verify what the 2 wires are and if you have gauges or idiot lights. If you have gauges there should be another wire there. Refer to post 6 for wires. The factory used a 12 gauge red wire that went across to the alternator and regulator. The black wire that goes forward toward the core support may have replaced that wire, but I have no idea what the cylindrical object in the wire is or if the wire is correctly run. You need to take a hard look at this to find out what's going on there. Might be time to summon VetteVet! Perhaps you should send him a PM asking that he take a look at this thread.

I got that block on with your help! Thanks. Truck has idiot lights, no gauges. All lights were working when I parked her and other than taking off what was attached to sheet metal and core support, I did nothing to these wires.

Yes, if it's from the headlight. It may also be where the right side marker light is grounded (if you have lighted markers)

Let me have a look at the truck again and check on this. I have lighted side markers.

That is correct IF the wire to the junction block is a fusible link. I'm not sure how to verify that. If I were you, I'd replace both battery cables.

Ugh....I really want to replace all wiring but cost and time is becoming a factor. I will not license the truck this year and will not be driving it over winter. Can I replace those next spring and be OK?

I've never seen a truck with original cables that had a wire off the negative terminal. It probably wouldn't harm anything to have an additional ground if you choose. It could possibly go to the location behind the battery. As mentioned above, I'd replace the cables.

Oh wow, so this might be something dad put on here sometime back in the 1970's. I could ask him but I doubt he'd remember. That's good news actually....one less thing to need to worry about!

Yes guys Flickr isn't really the best but I'll try to take advice here and post via the site. I may have to ask how to do that though.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote