View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 02:51 AM   #1668
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

25 days without a phone or internet, wifi etc when you run a home based office…..

And mobile reception that does not receive any signal.

So yesterday, I actually walked out of my Friday meeting and killed some time.

Weirdly, at 4.00pm a BT Openreach telephone technician arrived, two hours later magically…….. Phone and services restored.

So what else did I get done.

I bit the bullet and cut back the instrument cluster face and peak.

Hacksaw job.

Then took a long tome to shape and file and grind it to a point where the next phase could be started.

This was a very high risk manoeuvre as it was snowing intermittently outside the garage which makes plastics extremely fragile.

I knew I had this piece of plastic for the last 10 or more years, found it, marked out, Stanley knife, prayed and snappe…….d.

More cutting, grinding on the bench grinder……

Loads of scratches……..

Then some towels, cloths and G3 rubbing compound, an hour later I was halfway there, drilled a hole for the speedo reset button.

Followed by more finger polishing, grinding, filing, you get the picture.

I am happy to say, it is far from perfect.

But good enough.

Don’t like it?

Come over, make a new one, fit it.

Next up.

Inbetween helping the telephone company guy sort out my phone and internet, including removing some plugs to speed up my internet microscopically the next job surfaced.

Making a template for that little peak to finish off the cluster once fitted to the dash, after the vinyl is ordered to cover it all.

CAD Rules as @nickwheeler says.

While working on this, I also decided to try fit the cluster from behind, and not out front as planned.

This reduces it by 12mm

And still fits and allows the three loom plugs to be connected (I hope)

After some fine tuning, grinding and a load of bending I think we have a workable solution.

It will get bonded around the trim, and the vinyl will get tucked in behind the clocks etc.

Work in progress yes.

I also sanded and painted the piece and then closed shop at 7.00pm as my bones were chilled working out there with snow still swirling about.

This morning I noticed the outside temperature is at -2’C

Where is summer now?
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote