View Single Post
Old 08-12-2023, 11:50 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: 3 Piece Dually Wheel Dismounting

They were cheap because they aren't good for anything except making grinder or vise stands out of.
Truth is the guy you got them from probably got kicked out of Les Schwab when he took them down to be worked on. When they took the split rims off my 71 they didn't even let the tire touch the cement out on the apron, they lifted the wheel and tire off the hubs and carried them to the back of the truck and put them in.

Still the issue with those or split rims has always been what someone before you did to the wheel and comprimised it in the process.

I'd go over them with a fine tooth comb checking for even the least bit of damage. That spot I circled might have some impact damage from the past.

Plus positively use a cage when you air them up if you ever air them up. That is the "unsafe part" airing them up after you have them apart. Maybe not quite as bad as regular split rims but unless you buy extra life insurance make sure that you and all around you are safe when they get aired up.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote