View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
1Bad 37

Re: 1Bad37: C5 Corvette Meets '37 Chevy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yelr View Post
I know what you mean about not wanting to park it anywhere you can't keep an eye on it. I have a 69 Chevelle convertible that I feel the same way about. I only drive it if that's all I'm planning on doing...just driving! I don't like to leave it anywhere I can't see it, but it has to be that way I guess.
I think you truck looks awesome!! I see salvaged Corvette rollers on ebay and I think to myself how amazing that would be under an ond truck and I think you're the first I've seen that has actually done it. Very cool Must feel like a rocket on rails.
Always loved the streamline era trucks, I have a 1940 Chevy 1/2 ton that I haven't really started working on and it will probably never get to where yours is but it will be great to drive around.
Your right about modern powertrains, EFI is sooo nice. Turn the key and go, no messing around with jets and metering rods etc etc.
Sanding and polishing is mind numbing but it looks great!!
Keep up the great work.
What are you running for seats? Do you have buckets or a bench?
Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I do park it here and there but not for very long... I think the biggest reason the Corvette rollers on ebay aren't done often is its a HUGE PITA. It would be much easier to do a Camaro/T/A LS swap, its much more "conventional," and thereby easier/cheaper. Getting this far hasn't been cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

And now I will blast with many unedited/blurry/crap on the lens and generally BS iPhone pics! Couldn't find the camera for the new ones and the "in progress" pics I almost always forget the camera and pull out the phone as its ALWAYS in my pocket pumping tunes into my earbuds...
Here's the sanding station! I spent too many hours sitting on that stupid yellow bucket!

Putting the mainshaft into the case on my official GM workstation!

This part is a pain to get right! THis is the actual shift gate/link where shifts happen. THe 5/6 and R forks are on their own linkage that is a pain to make interface with the 1/2/3/4's shift fork. You might pick up that I did the brass fork pads and Viper steel 3/4 fork...

At this point I forgot all about pics and was wrenching. If you ever rebuild one of these, to put the pressed on 5/6 gear back on the mainshaft, heat it up in your oven at 500 degrees and it will fall right on. If you ever take one of these apart you'll know which gear I mean, its a HUGE PITA to take off!!!
Trans back in and no leaks! I hate the smell of ATF in the morning

TO answer the question about the seating arrangement in this aircraft, the plain black seats are the ones I've been using. My dad and I reupholstered them several years ago, they're a stock style replacement. I'm gonna have to replace them though as they hurt my tailbone after about an hour of driving... I hurt pretty bad after driving to the Goodguys show last year, and that's ~1.5-2 hrs away... I'm leaning toward doing them in a chocolate brown color rather like a king ranch ford truck... Probably stitched somewhat like that BMW E30 seat leaning on the wall next to the truck seat. And no, that seat won't work, trust me, I tried to make it work... Its too wide and stuff...

This is the trans as it sits currently, the diff cover is freshly polished, I could polish it for months but this is close enough I think...

What the shop situation looks like now...
THe diff as it sits about 10 mins ago NOT looking forward to polishing that. Thoughts on painting the center part gold and polishing both of the side covers??

1Bad 37 is offline   Reply With Quote