View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 AM   #118
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

well folks, I've been on a real hot job this week, and glad to say I finally got it all knocked out. I kept saying that once I'm up and running then I will really be getting to work the kinks out, and so far that is holding true, so this all good. I trouble shot it all Monday, then only had from about 6 PM after work each day to get a couple hours in, but finally got a full day on the truck today and am back up and solid

So basically I'd have the truck running and idling and everything would be looking good, sounding good. Then I'd run the truck down the block and I'd come back dripping just a ton of oil... I came to find out that at idle there wasn't enough oil pressure to cause any issues, but soon as I'm up in RPM's down the street it would be enough pressure to have oil coming out somewhere in the rear of the engine.

First I confirmed it wasn't the oil pressure sender or the oil pressure switch. It wasn't, but I eventually had to pull the pressure switch because it was blocking my view of where it was actually coming from. I had it in the oil port on the top of the block at the back of the intake manifold, and replaced it with a 1/8" brass plug.

From there I was able to clearly see an area where oil was seeping right out between the intake manifold and the block. I pulled it all apart to have a look and pretty quickly was able to see what was going on. On the front and the back strips you create your own gasket with RTV, and it's a shame cause somehow right in this one area I must not have put it on thick enough and I could see on either side that the seal wasn't getting made

Last edited by gokellurself; 09-19-2017 at 12:55 AM.
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote