View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #44
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: trans fluid to radiator fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Spoke with the Manufacturer support folk. They appear to be a fairly generous lot.

What they have given me is that the threads are intentionally loose like this for reasons associated with the fact that the material is aluminum and the seal is meant to be carried out with the inverted flair and so the threads don't need to be so tight.

I was given advise to attempt to use thread tape and if that didn't work, they'd swap the unit with a custom one that has something welded in that I can use.

Ultimately this comes down to time and cost for me. Throwing money at a problem I shouldn't have isn't something I'm willing to do right now. I'd rather find something that will thread in and just seal so I can be on my way. I've asked that they suggest an online URL to an adapter that will do exactly what I need, given all the detail required to get it right. That is, they know what should work on their radiator they know what I need on my end: standard 37 degree male hydraulic fitting with 1/2" 20 tpi thread.

If that doesn't work, then I'll just return the radiator and use my original brass/copper unit.

Fortunately I've found that the dual fan shroud will bolt right up to my original radiator so I have an out there while maintaining the new cooling system!

-klb

One does not make threads "intentionally loose" if they know anything about mechanical engineering. Teflon tape is NOT the way to seal either (or to build up the gap) an AN or inverted flare fitting. Get it swapped for a proper fitting or just send it back and buy a radiator from someone who knows what they are doing.

ETA- one more thing- look at the flare fittings inside the radiator. If they are marred in any way as result of threading a bolt into the hole, send it back. Champion is off the list of places I would buy an aluminum radiator from.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 09-04-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote