View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
Sheepdip

Re: A/C System Trouble Shooting

I spoke with a "Service Tech" at Old Air Products yesterday he said he believed my expansion valve was plugged or stuck shut, now with everything and I do mean everything brand new, I seriously doubted it was plugged.

I pulled the txv and it was wide open, I then put the bulb in ice water for 15 min. and it remained open, I then stuck the whole shebang in the freezer for 30 min. and it was closed when I removed it, then while blowing into it and putting the bulb in my warm hand it opened almost instantly.

This tells me it was not plugged and functioning as designed. I then reinstalled it.

I pulled a vacuum on the system and it held for a good 45 min with no drop. With the engine off I then filled thru the high side port, first can emptied within seconds high side came up to about 50psi, second took a little longer but I got it all in and high side read 90psi. I then closed my high side gauge and opened my low side gauge and it's at 90psi, the high and low had equalized with no cross feeding thru the gauge manifold. My compressor binary switch won't even let it come on at that pressure.

I bled thru the system low side port and took it down to about 40 psi, again cross checking pressures the high side came down to 40 psi also without opening the high side port. This tells me the 2 sides are equalizing some how.

I then started the engine/compressor, both sides remained at 40 psi, no change at higher rpm's either, I then started feeding gas thru the low side port (high side closed) and took the low side psi to about 50, cross checking.the high side also rose (equalized) to 50psi also and remained at 50.

I have installed 4 Auto A/C systems from scratch over the years with flawless results (all still working) this does not make me an expert by any means and I know there are people who are way smarter than I on A/C systems, but I'd bet a weeks pay my brand new compressor is not working as it's supposed to.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote