View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #13
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Re: Clifford the Big Red Truck~~The Build

OK, so back on the rear....

I couldn't set around all weekend and not do something about the rear. Ive done quite a few c-notches in my time and Im not scared to get in and do something.

I knew that template wasn't working for this frame. There was a few holes in the "general vicinity" but none looked right. So I tossed the template. I also knew that a c-notch should be perfectly centered on the axle centerline. I had already pre-marked it on the frame with my scribe, just incase.
So I thought, "if I put the forward mount in for the 4-link, and put a bar on it, with the axle plate, that should tell me if the Ride tech 4-link used the same axle CL." All of the bars were the same length and I read that they come pre-set for length. So I put one up on there, and what do you know, its spot on with my mark. I knew then that I was gonna just co off the centerline and mark, and then measure x2 and then drill/cut. So I put the c-noth bracket up there and marked the inside, then I marked about 1/8th inch off those marks. I measure again, called my buddy to come lay his eyes on it just for kicks. He said he liked it, so I went to cutting. After cutting and a little clean up, I put the c-notch bracket up and it was a perfect fit. Likewise for the other side. Im sure ill get some emails/calls in the am asking me to send pics to the folks up at Ridetech. I know this is a new kit and according to Ken, they made 15 million of these trucks. So there is a chance this frame doesn't have the centering holes. I also have the measurements for my cuts and the holes I drilled. And if they need those, or anyone else for that matter, Ill send em.

So before you start this job, make sure you have the tools mentioned in the previous reply, as well as a good sharp 7/16 drill bit, cutting oil, gloves, eye-pro and a blanket or towel to lay on you when you drill upwards for the bottom holes. Don't need to spin the bit hard, jus go slow and let it eat. We averaged about 35/40 seconds per hole. And we did about 40 or so.

The two pics below are of the holes that were in the general area for the template. After securing the c-notches, they are about 3/4 inch away from the recommended holes.

Bottom line, if you don't feel right about something stop. Research pics, threads, call friends and whatever else you can think of. Trust your gut.
Attached Images

1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote