View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
ManNamedJed

Re: 1971 4x4 Suburban Project - the 'Family Adventure Wagon'

Before I could even get into the cool projects, I had an issue with it not starting. The battery cables were pretty corroded and nasty. It also had a dual battery setup where one was isolated but you could connect it to the other via a soleniod. However it was only connected with a 12 gauge wire. And I couldn't figure out how the second battery was even getting charged.

A long time ago my CJ was needing a new battery and I realized a dual battery tray and two group 24 marine starting batteries cost less than one new Optima, so that is what I did and it worked great. They lasted 10 yrs and didn't mind when I didn't start the jeep for months at a time. So that is what I decided to do here.

I dropped the solenoid and got two new batteries and wired them in parallel. I built my own cables with copper lugs , solder pellets and heavy duty heat shrink. Its super easy to do and you can make your cables for less than crappy pre built ones.

I used this method:
https://www.wiringdepot.com/jt-t-tec...-Battery-Cable

I also used 'military' battery lugs which allows you to stack other wires on the bolts.

Since I plan an upgraded alternator at some point, I also dropped the fusible link wire and went with this cool resettable breaker. I'm using an 80A now (63A alt), but will change when I upgrade.

Yes I still need to clean up some of the other wiring.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote