View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #17
ManNamedJed

Re: 1971 4x4 Suburban Project - the 'Family Adventure Wagon'

July 2019:

Wife and kids were out of town, so I worked hard all weekend on the suburban and have painfully little to show for it.

It doesn't fit in the garage, so all work is being done in the hot driveway (over 90 all weekend).

Goal was to install new axles and lift kit. Decided to go with the 2.5" lift springs and shocks from Tuff Country, FYI. Jegs has a good price on that kit and they had a coupon deal, so I jumped on it. Went with the Nitro shock option too.

The internet said my rear axle would bolt up except for the shock mounts. Well that was wrong and the spring pads were in the wrong spot. Got them cut off. Tried to use my plasma cutter and ended up gouging my axle tubes, so wasted time filling gouges and smoothing with grinder.

The internet also said the driveshaft would bolt up and likely be an okay length, well its too long now and uses a different u-joint.

Got the Eldorado parking brake disc calipers from Ruff stuff and the parking brake cables aren't long enough now.

The new lug nuts I bought are the wrong thread.

Of course the leaf spring bolts were rusted solid.

The disc conversion is thicker than the drums and I'm concerned the studs aren't long enough now.

So here it is after a hard weekend and the rear isn't even done. The rear axle is centered, angle set, and the new perches are tacked on. The brake lines have been sorted and the calipers bled. Need to get the driveline shorted, spring and shock mounts welded, and still have to do the front. My dad came by and was a big help, wouldn't have even made this much progress without him.

I am happy with how its looking I think the small lift was the right choice. I like how the tires and wheels look. They are metric 33" tires that I bought lightly used from someone who took them off a new Wrangler. I just hope the front goes smoother.

Note: The previous owner said he'd just had the brakes overhauled. Found nice new brake parts in the rear. Felt bad about taking this off!

Last edited by ManNamedJed; 07-25-2019 at 11:52 AM.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote