Thread: 292 Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #202
May70

Re: 292 Questions

Well I found someone who let me borrow his clifford intake/4 barrel carb. Come to find out the carb is brand new and he doesnt know when he is going to use it, so I would feel bad for running gas through it. Especially when he would just to put it back up in a box on the shelf. Decided I wasnt going to use his stuff, and I took the carb off one last time.

I took the throttle body off the carb and ensured it was as close to perfectly flat as I could get it. Changed the gasket and put it back on there. STILL same thing. In my pure frustration I just decided I was done screwing with it and took the head off. Im pretty sure I want either the clifford/offenhauser intake with a 4 barrel anyway and I dont want to put those on there with head issues, hopefully that will all rid me of the issues.. Im going to have the machine shop go through the head. Half way temped to pull the block. Judging my head bolt findings im not sure if I need to.....

A couple of the head bolts had a lot of metal flakes/shavings on them, i SHOULD have taken a picture but I forgot.. and some of the holes were gunked up with some sort of sealer in the threads. It was almost like some sort of permetex or silicone maybe? Did they put that sort of thing on during factory assembly? I guess the only way for me to do anything about it would be to run a tap through it? I dont want a disaster on my hands. The bolts didnt have any issue coming out and the threads on the bolts look fine. Whats up with the metal flakes/shavings?

Suggestions would be great
Attached Images

Last edited by May70; 08-27-2019 at 07:54 PM.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote