Thread: 292 Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 01:34 AM   #215
Mike_The_Grad

Re: 292 Questions

VWNate1 hit the nail on the head about the breather/oil fill combo. This was an option I was leaning towards with my dads setup. I then was informed by my parts guy the possibility of crankcase blow by gases and fumes from the oil finding their way into the cab. The issue I'm facing is how to achieve a filtered air source through the twist in front opening of the valve cover that is not just a typical twist in style of breather. Having a 9"" open element air cleaner with a 5-1/8" base adapted to a single barrel carburetor is making things a little tricky. Especially because the valve cover opening is above the carburetor's air filter mounting flange.
And may70, you may be correct in your assumption of the 4 barrel adapted to your engine. Once you start altering the factory original configuration you step into the aftermarket and custom world. If you think the factory did some weird things the aftermarket will have your head spinning. The "goal" with my dads truck is to have a dual single barrel aluminum intake on the bored over 292 with an RV cam and hedman headers. No PS. No PB. 4 on the floor. 3" drop up front, 5" drop in the rear. Only thing missing is the dual carb setup.
I think there's a discussion in the FAQ of the 60-66 truck section about getting a 700r4 behind a straight six.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote