View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #18
dmjlambert

Re: 72 GMC 2500 - electrically dead!

Well my wiring in that area is not original. I have a fuse holder similar to yours because the original wiring that area was eaten/damaged by the PO's rats (or the PO). I have spliced fresh wire onto the original wires inside the wire bundle going across top of the radiator. I used wire of the same gauge and color to splice onto the red wire, by removing an inch of insulation, twisting the wires together, soldering, and applying heat shrink tubing. The gauge of the black wire that leads to the ammeter is less critical because almost no current flows over it. I make splices with a good twisted physical connection, solder, and heat shrink tubing. I'm not a fan of crimped connections, but that may be because I'm good at soldering and I see no reason to not solder. I suggest trace/pull the wires to figure out where the bigger black wire is going and don't hook it up if it's just something left over from the camper wiring. I have only 3 wires going to the junction block: The fusible link wire from the positive battery terminal, the red wire and the black wire that has the fuse holder inline. That red wire and the black wire go into the channel across the top of the radiator, along with the passenger side headlight and parking light wires.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote