Thread: 55.2-59 Upgrading Braking System
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 03:11 AM   #1
2bo.c10

Upgrading Braking System

Hi Everyone

I want to convert my '58 to disc brakes in the front but I have a few issues and would like some help from the group:

1. I have a transmission which I dont believe will allow me to install the MC and brake booster that is needed. The truck started life as a 3-on-the-tree, but the gentleman who owned it before me changed it to a 3spd on the floor. I am not sure which trans he put in, but its not a great fit considering I cant connect my speedo cable because it gets in the way of the shift linkage.

Below is a note about the kit I want to buy and how it relates to the trans:

Note: Frame mount brake boosters may require #CP9424 transmission mount. May not work with manual transmission or stock wheels, please inquire. Kit uses 7/16 wheel studs. Booster will not clear stock clutch linkage

2. I dont mind mounting to the firewall (I know for some people this is sacrilege!) but I think I'd prefer it for ease of access. I realize though, that if I mount to the firewall, it changes the dynamic between the brake pedal and the master cylinder. If I were to go this route, how would I fix this Brake / MC connection problem?

3. Do I need a brake booster in order to run front disc brakes? Can I just have the disc set up, a master cylinder and a proportioning valve without the booster?

Thanks in advance!
2bo.c10 is offline   Reply With Quote