View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
SCOTI

Re: Air ride suspension questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Yes, Thanks Joedoh. Your explanation clarified a few things for me. I've never owned an air ride car or truck, and decided to make my current project my first. I've kind of lost the desire to go forward with my air set up since it's taken me so much longer to complete my truck than I expected. I still plan on giving it the old college try, but if it gives me much trouble, I'll probably yank it all out and buy a complete static kit with a 4/6 drop. I'm thinking possibly ride tech.

You've got me a bit concerned since I have all 4 corners on 7" dominators. I really do want a super smooth ride, which is why I went with air, but I may need to make some changes to get what I will be happy with.
Independent control @ each corner is best as mentioned.

Control can be complicated electronics or manual paddle valves. You pay much more for the benefits that come with electronic control but you're also open to all the standard issues a manual system can have (leaks) w/the electronics issues on top (switches that fail, solenoids that stick, ECU's that don't work right because of a ground/power/voltage issue).

You 'gotta pick your battles.

For my manual systems, I have a simple Schrader valve Tee'd into the tank to fill the supply line/s that go to my control valves (mine is set-up as F/R). The Schraders are placed where I can access them easy enough. I can use a portable air tank & transfer air from tank to tank if necessary or use a butt connecter to use the portable tank as the air source. It's all in how you design/build the set-up.

As for 7" bags @ all 4-corners..... It's do-able. But, the rears might not be @ an optimum pressure for the ride height you want which can impact ride quality (can doesn't mean it will). Again.... It all depends on how you design/build the set-up.

The main thing I dislike about the budget/manual version is the repeatability for alignments benefits. 90psi @ 6am/60°F does not yield the same height as 90psi @ 6pm/90°F. That difference impacts your heights which impacts your alignment. I don't worry too much for short in town drives but if I plan to be on the road (highway for certain), I always set the corners w/a tape measure.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote