Thread: engine rebuild?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
AussieinNC

Re: engine rebuild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjay10 View Post
My engine runs great, good oil pressure, doesn't burn oil, no misfires, and as far as I can tell it doesn't leak anymore oil. But I've noticed that it wasn't maintained very well because of quite a bit of sludge buildup and it's starting to develop a slight lifter tick that goes away after about a minute. I can either leave it alone, or buy the lifters and replace gaskets, or I can buy a rebuild kit and replace everything.

If I go the rebuild route, I was thinking getting a kit on rock auto with all standard sizes, taking the block and heads to a machine shop, have them hot tank them, install cam bearings, hone cylinders, and polish crank. Then I'd install/replace everything else myself.

Does this sound reasonable? What would you suggest? I have most all tools needed except maybe any gauges to measure clearances.
Are we talking about an LS engine?

If so, IMHO, leave it alone, change the oil and filter and use 5W 20 oil in it...

After a couple of oil changes you will notice the ticking will reduce.

You can remove the rocker covers and hand scrape the sludge away from the engine surfaces....sludge builds up over time when oil is not changed at correct intervals.

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote