View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #47
newstedcomeback

Re: 1971 C/10 to K/20 Conversion

I haven't been able to post any updates lately, but I have been working on the truck. I am almost done prepping the frame for paint and I have been gathering tools and studying the proper setup of differentials. When I put the Dana 44 carrier back in after changing the tube seals the gear contact pattern was way off! I decided that it's about time I learn how to set up gears. It's really not that difficult. You will need a shop press, bearing puller kit and a dial type inch pound torque wrench. The easiest way to set up shims is to buy an extra set of bearings and use a sandpaper flap wheel to "hone" out the center and open up the diameter so there the bearing slides on with no press. This way you can trial and error setup the gears and change out shims as needed without having to press the bearings on and off. The holiday was not a good time for me to get much done on the truck. But now that it has passed I am back in gear!

2018 Silverado 1500 5.3 LTZ Z71 - daily driver

2019 Tahoe Z71 5.3 - (Wifes daily driver)
newstedcomeback is offline   Reply With Quote