View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
luvbowties

Question Re: N00B Post - Air Cleaner/carb connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRabbit4 View Post
I just bought a 66 Chevy c10 inline 6 pick up stepside less than 48 hours ago. I've looked it over and found things wrong or missing and some things that have completely baffled me on how to replace.

First things first, the air cleaner was off the truck when I got it. So I'm not sure how to put it back on. I've seen pictures, watched videos, looked for diagrams but for some reason I just can't figure it out. I attached a picture of what I've got. In most pictures they have a mount on top of the carb that the cleaner box bolts into. or a bolt coming from the carb up through the air cleaner. But neither is true here. Need to figure this out before I want to drive it at all.

Next, shifting and transmission. 3 on the tree. When going from Rev/1st to 2nd/3rd I have to push HARD or pull HARD on the shifter to get it to go from one side of neutral to the other. Not sure why or how to fix it. Buying new rubber bushings for the rods anyway but I feel like there is something else I need to grease, clean, replace. Drivable but very difficult to shift.

Thanks for the help in advance. Once these two things are fixed the rest of the project can take off!
You said, "Next, shifting and transmission. 3 on the tree. When going from Rev/1st to 2nd/3rd I have to push HARD or pull HARD on the shifter to get it to go from one side of neutral to the other. Not sure why or how to fix it." I'm answering from memory that is from 50 years ago, but I think your problem is located up higher in steering column. Try removing st. wheel 1st. Then horn, turn signal accessories, and everything to get to where the neutral 'rod'(maybe a sleeve)slides up and down inside the mast jacket. The clearance between the 2 need lubricating to free up the neutral 'gate' when you lift up/let down to move from 1st/reverse to 2nd/3rd. Unless this moves freely, it'll get even worse to where it'll stick in the 2nd/3rd position of the neutral gate" and make it darn near impossible to 'reach' 1st and reverse at all.
HTH, Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote