Thread: Fuel smell
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #7
LEEVON

Re: Fuel smell

I doubt it's the hose, fuel vapor needs somewhere to go. My '53 with a 5.3L had the same problem and my wife absolutely beat me up over it. Pre-emissions vehicles had charcoal canisters that contained the fuel vapor and they always had a long run of fuel line to get there and back. Remember fuel vapor is heavier than air, so when it "burps" its just sending into your garage and dispersing on the floor right now. My solution was to create a vent line, which runs from the filler neck, to a high loop in the cab corner (stock tank), then down through the floor and to the back of the frame. At the end I put a regular old inline clear plastic/paper fuel filter. That was enough volume to contain the vapor when the garage heats up, or when I come back from a drive, etc. NO MORE SMELL AT ALL. In your case you could run a vent line from the tank, or plug that and do I like I did.