View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #20
Chuck78

Re: Power Brake Booster Adapter Bracket

Got my bracket welded up today, planned on moving the brake stuff over 1/4" so that I wouldn't have to notch the bracket anymore than the firewall flange, due to the clutch master I'm using. Since I'll have 2-3/4" center to center brake and clutch, I really could have shaved 1/2" of length off of the booster bracket, but I didn't plan that far ahead. I would venture to guess that Wilwood master would allow the stock 2.5" spacing due to better/more compact mounting flanges.

the wilwood only comes up to a 1" bore, and ours are 1-1/8", so you would have a softer pedal with a more spongy travel, but I think if you drop down the pushrod location where it attaches to the cross-shaft's lever linkage, this will give you more stroke, which this master is capable of, and that will most likely compensate for the slightly smaller bore.

Capt, if I can find a digital camera around here, I'll take a pic or two for you of my setup. Got the brackets grafted together. what a tedious operation that was. It would have been far easier to have just done it with some flat plate steel from scratch I think due to angles, contours, and re-aligning two halves of existing booster brackets. Looks alright now, but I opted not to smooth the weld out, as I'm sure it will spawn some conversation on the subject somewhere along the way with a non-factory looking weld down the middle of my booster bracket.

looking at that wilwood drawing, I realized that the other drawback besides twice the $$ is that now you'd have to make up a 5/16x24tpi pushrod for the clutch, where using the 62 unit that is heavier and has a wider bolt flange, it uses the exact same stock setup for linkage and pushrod. The 62 single brake master in this location has the bolt flanges diagonally, and has 1/2" greater distance from edge of flange to center of pushrod (1-3/4" roughly).

check out soba_03's pictures, but I think the Wilwood's outlet is on the engine side of the master's end, and requires a brass 90 degree elbow as well, but should clear the contour of an 8" booster and maybe some 9" dual diaph. boosters if the contour of the back is good for this. 4.87" plus clearance for a brass elbow if necessary, where the factory unit is a little over 4-1/2" long.

it's late, gotta hit the hay.
*Many 1977-1979 Suzuki GS motorcycles, Kawasaki KDX220R, '77 Suzuki PE250, etc
Chuck78 is offline   Reply With Quote