View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #274
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Ok still pluggin along at this with some updates as to what's been going on. I figured I would try an wrap up the engine bay by doing all the hoses, fuel line etc.
I wanted to have heat in the cab but after looking around on the web for a heater unit that would fit I just couldn't find anything. Vintage Air has a unit that they say is 9 1/4" wide but they don't calculate the width of the unit with the hose fittings on it. So I was thinking with the fittings it would be at least 10" wide. Well I only have about 9 3/4" between the recessed portion of the firewall and the side of the cab, so I had to come up with another plan.

I decided to try an re-use the old heater that came with the truck. That posed all kind of problems because the heater core was no good. I think I wasted the better portion of a week searching the internet trying to find just the right size core that would fit the housing. Frustrating part was when I found a core that would fit, it didn't have the right size, or proper location of the hose bungs. I finally gave up and decide to try and cram an oversized square into a round hole.

Here's the heater as I got it.
[/URL]
Here's the heater nos with the new core. this was the smallest core I could find with the bungs in a location that I like. As you can see I had to hack the side out of the housing to squeeze the core in. I think once I pull it back out for final painting it will look fine tucked up under the dash. Maybe in the waaaay distant future I will just make my own housing that will fit in the tight space I have.
[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote