View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #34
Wwes

Re: Daily Driving a Square Suburban

Hey Ryan,

Earl looks great.

I can only add how I handled the same desire, with the caveat that like you, having owned many GM trucks, each generation gets better.

Instead of going out and buying an older truck that was someone else's memories I decided to buy a new one and create my own memories. When I see a K5 blazer going down the road, I remind myself that I'm driving the modern incarnation of that truck (2016 Yukon) and someday we will look back on this Yukon and think of it fondly like the K5. And it will have been "mine" with "our memories".

Properly tuned carbs drive just fine but I prefer modern tech. No vapor lock, stuck choke, broken throttle linkages, etc. Never mind that the 305/350/454 tech from that era would be outrun by the 4-cylinder that is an option in the 2019 Silverado with double the MPG.

And if I were to go against my own best judgement and do it, I'd go with a 97-99 Suburban for the Vortec 350, dual airbags, and general modern feel. There's a TON of difference between a 88 and a 98. Night and day.

Good luck.
Wwes is offline   Reply With Quote